Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A few of my favorite things

I thought I’d share this week some of the foods I love and eat daily to get good protein, fiber and lots of veggies into my body.
First is the Healthy 8 Chopped Veggie Mix from Trader Joe’s. All it has in it is fresh chopped up broccoli, carrots, green cabbage, red cabbage, jicama, green bell peppers, radishes and celery. It is amazing (and already prepared for me!). I stir-fry it, add it to eggs, top spinach with it for amazing salads and snack on it by itself, etc. You only spend 30 calories on a huge ¾ cup serving of this mix, plus you get fiber and NO fat.
Second is my all-time favorite snack-food popcorn. I have searched far and wide for the tastiest 100 calorie individual serving bag of popcorn and I’ve found it: Pop-Secret 100 Calorie Pop in Homestyle flavor. It’s rich and buttery and totally satisfying. You can eat a whole bag for only 100 calories (and it’s a lot of popcorn) and you also get a bit of protein and a whopping 4 grams of fiber. Snack on!
Third, and finally, are Meatless Meatballs (again from Trader Joe’s). I can actually hear some of you gagging, but hear me out. These things are AMAZING. I love meat as much as the next carnivore, but if you are looking for a heart healthy substitute for meatballs in pasta, crockpots, sandwiches, you name it…look no further. You get to eat 6 healthy sized meatballs for 140 calories and an impressive 16 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber (hard to find fiber in meaty meatballs). I frequently (like 5 days a week) make a meal of meatless meatballs sautéed with the healthy veggie mix…totally satisfying
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Erin, great post! I had no idea the meatless meatballs and the healthy 8 from Joe the Trader were so good. I will make it a point to try them out now.

    Thanks!
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete