Thursday, September 26, 2013

Eat a muffin, lose the muffin top!

s



I fed the blueberry muffins (above) to my husband, who love calories, fat, wheat and dairy, and he was shocked that they were low-calorie, low-fat, gluten-free, and dairy-free. Ha, I totally got him! Taste for yourself; they are crazy addictive. my toddler ate six of them behind my back (sneaky buddy!).AND because it's fall and there are pumpkins everywhere, I thought I'd try to makeover a pumpkin muffin recipe as well..success!

Click here for my E.H. Fitness Blueberry Muffin Make-over as well as a workout to get rid of your muffin top (or keep it off!) on the amazing feed me kc site.

E.H. Fitness Perfect Pumpkin Muffins 

Yields 18 regular muffins, 36 mini muffins
(10 min prep, 18 min bake time)

I LOVE baked goods but have a hard time digesting gluten (wheat) and dairy, so when a friend shared this gluten free recipe with me (thanks JF!), I had to try it…with a couple of my own little changes, of course J. Plus, you can make these in 30 minutes flat…

What you need:

  • non-stick cooking spray (or muffin tin liners)
  • 1 cup old fashion oats made into flour (don’t freak out…just put them in your blender/food proccessor/magic bullet/etc for like 10 seconds. Congrats, you just made your own oat flour)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup old fashion oats
  • 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened, original flavor almond milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup


What to do:

Pre-heat the oven to 375. Combine all dry ingredients (oat flour that you made, sugar, salt, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, old fashion oats), then mix in all wet ingredients. Tough, right? Fill your muffin tins ½ full (like ¼ cup for regular sized muffins and about 2 TBSP for mini muffins).  Bake normal sized muffins for 15-18 minutes and mini-muffins for 10-12 minutes. They are done when a toothpick comes out goop-free. Cool before diving in.


These are crazy-unbelievable nutrition facts…don’t get carried away. The entire batch will still set you back over 1,300 calories. But for one normal sized muffin: 76 calories, 15 carbs, 1 gram fiber, 1 gram fat and 2 grams protein. For the mini ones: 38 calories, 7 carbs, 0.5 grams fiber, 0.5 grams fat and 1 gram protein. 

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment