Friday, May 12, 2017

The perfect hard boiled egg

I eat a lot of eggs...like a lot. I love them...they are the perfect protein/fat combo and keep me full for hours. The thing about eggs, though, is that they are hard to make on the go...well...unless you are doing that fun experiment when you fry an egg on super hot pavement-but then you probably wouldn't want to eat it. Anyway....Enter the hard boiled egg. I have avoided hard boiled eggs for a long time...if I have to peel them myself....because it's sooooo irritating when it takes forever and you generally lose all the egg white in the process. But now, after many different tries, I have found a food-proof method. Check it out:

What you need:

  • Eggs (I like to do a dozen at a time)
  • Medium-large sauce pan (to make sure your eggs can all be in a single layer)
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1-2 tbsp salt
  • Large bowl filled with ice and water (I'll explain in a bit)


What you do:

  1. Bring water to a boil with salt and vinegar...make sure you have enough water in the pot to cover the eggs completely
  2. Add eggs in one at a time. I like to use tongs. If your eggs tend to crack, use room temp eggs.
  3. Boil gently for 12-14 minute depending on how soft/hard you like your yolks
  4. Remove eggs from boiling water with tongs and put them right into an ice bath (that's your large bowl of ice and water) and let sit for 15 minutes or so
  5. Put them back into their carton and label it. You know what is not fun? Thinking you have a hard boiled egg, when it's actually just a regular egg....or vice versa.


Those shells should slide right off and now you have a perfect snack/meal on the go. I pack some almost every day in a little lunch bag with ice packs. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment