Friday, October 23, 2009

Fantastic Food Find Friday


Food Find Recipe Edition: Ginger Snaps

So it’s getting cold and the holidays are just around the corner…lots of baked goods are coming, right? Lots of them. I’m a lover of all things sweet and when I bake I end up eating half the batch of whatever comes out of the oven, so I really try to make healthy alterations to most recipes.

One of my favorite holiday foods is ginger bread, ginger snaps, ginger cookies…okay, you get it…I love ginger baked goods. I found a recipe (and then made a few of my own alterations) that takes almost all the fat out of ginger snaps and the cookies are fantastic. This recipe makes close to a million little cookies so feel free to half it J.


Ingredients:

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 4 tablespoons molasses (I use sorghum molasses from my husband’s family farm!)

Directions

  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place parchment paper on cookie sheets.
  • Sift together the flour, ginger, allspice and baking soda, set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Stir in the applesauce and molasses. Add dry ingredients to the molasses mixture and mix until just blended.
  • Roll teaspoons of dough into balls. Place the balls on the parchment paper.
  • Grease a spatula and smash down balls of dough so they are flat.
  • Bake for 12 to 15 for crisp cookies.
  • Cool on wire racks.

These bad boys are only about 55 calories for THREE COOKIES and have just a trace amount of fat.


Spice it up! These crispy snack cookies with a hot cup of tea are fantastic on a cold fall afternoon or evening.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment