Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Healthiest Fast Foods

(as heard on Calvary 88.5 FM on 1/19/09)

I’m a realist and know that it might not be possible for people to pack healthy food and eat their pre-prepared food at every meal. Life happens, and when we get busy and get starving, fast food temptations are at every corner ready to derail our healthy eating habits. But it doesn’t have to be a total loss at your favorite fast food place. Just make the healthiest choice possible when faced with a fast food emergency.

Below are some popular fast food spots that offer some of the worst food as far as calories, fat and sodium are concerned, but then also have a few surprisingly healthy choices. Choose wisely and you can survive the drive-thru!

McDonald’s

Order this:

  • Premium Baconm Ranch Salad with Grilled Chicken and Newmans Own Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette
    • (300 calories, 12 grams of fat)

OR

  • Side Salad with Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette and a Single Hamburger (no cheese)
    • (315 calories, 12 grams of fat)

Wendy’s

Order this:

  • Small Chili and Side Salad w/out dressing
    • (270 calories, 10 grams of fat)

Taco Bell

Order this:

  • Fresco Burrito Supreme Steak or Chicken
    • (330 calories, 8 grams of fat)

OR

  • Fresco Grilled Steak Soft Taco and Fresco Ranchero Chicken Soft Taco
    • (330 calories, 8.5 grams of fat)

Pizza Hut

Order this:

  • 2 Slices Veggie Lovers Thin ‘n’ Crispy Pizza (from a medium pizza)
    • (360 calories, 12 grams of fat)

KFC

Order this:

  • 2 Grilled Drumsticks, Mashed Potatoes with Gravy and Green Beans
    • (315 calories, 11.5 grams of fat)

Subway

Order this:

  • Any of these 6” sandwiches: Ham, Oven Roasted Chicken Breast, Roast Beef, Subway Club, Turkey Breast, Turkey Breast and Ham, Veggie Delite. You can add all the veggies you want to these sandwiches, but adding cheese, oil, mayo, ranch, etc will cause the calorie and fat content to go up.
    • (about 300 calories and under 6 grams of fat)

Most restaurants have their nutrition information listed on their website, so if you don’t see your favorite fast food joint up there in my list, get the nutrition info before you have to make a pit stop so that you are armed with the information to make a healthy decision.

For more fast food nurition facts all in one place, click here.

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I hear you every morning on Calvary 885 and I really enjoy what you share. I've lost 6 lbs since the first of this year! :) I started at 173, and down to 167, and my goal is 155. I'm a 44 year old white male, 5'9" if that gives you an idea. Anyway, I have a question about the fast food stuff you talked about. I can't find anywhere on McDonald's website about the California Club Salad. I see a bunch of other salads but not that one. Just wondered if that salad is indeed available at the KC area McDonald's? I'm one of those who has that occasion to "eat and run" and this is a great alternative than getting the Big Mac value meal!! Thanks for your efforts to help us be healthy. Can't wait until I lost 12 more lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are TOTALLY right, David! I miss typed AND misspoke today! I have changed my post to the salad that is actually on the menu now (though I do have to say I miss the California Club!). There are two great options, the first on that I mention above and the Southwest Chicken Salad...both are extremely tasty and as you said, are much better options than the Big Mac value meal!

    That is so great that you are doing so well with your fitness goals! You should feel great about your progress so far and I have no doubt that those next 12 pounds will fall off soon!

    Please let me know if you have any more questions!

    ReplyDelete