Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Tasty and simple power packed granola


I thought I'd try my hand at homemade granola this year for my neighbors in the New Year because I wanted to give a healthy and tasty something but a something that I wasn't going to be tempted to eat myself. FAIL! I normally don't even like granola, but this, my friends, is truly addictive. So consider yourself warned. It's a great energy boosting snack but stick to 1/4 cup or so since it's so calorie dense (the nutrition facts will vary greatly depending on how you make this to your liking). The recipe below is adapted from "100 days of real food." There are a ton of great, whole food recipes on their website. Check it out


What you need:

  • 3½ cups rolled oats 
  • 1 cup raw sliced almonds
  • 1 cup raw walnuts
  • ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
  • ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
  • 6 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • Also need – parchment paper
What to do:
  1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Cover a rectangular baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Mix the dry stuff together (oats, nuts, seeds, spices)
  3. Heat the coconut oil and maple syrup together in a saucepan over low heat. Once melted and combined stir in the vanilla and salt.
  4. Pour the hot liquids over the dry ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula until evenly coated.
  5. Spread mixture onto prepared pan in one even layer. Bake for 75 minutes.
Try to wait until it cools before digging in :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment