Saturday, November 19, 2022

Give Thanks, Get Happy


It's just before Thanksgiving, and the hustle and bustle of getting shopping done, planning meals, traveling, stressing about schedules and getting everything done can really overshadow the essence of the day, right? If you've forgotten what Thanksgiving is all about, like I have been prone to do, let me give you a hint; it's right there in the day's name. It's GIVING THANKS!

Being thankful isn't a new thing and it definitely shouldn't be relegated to one Thursday a year late in November.  But in times like these, when things feel hard and uncertain and scary and sad and a host of other feelings, being thankful can be on the way back burner. Like the back burner of an industrial stove with a lot of burners...like way in the back seat of a 15 passenger van...okay...you get it. As we get busy and into the holiday season, giving thanks can become a low priority.

Practicing gratefulness isn't just something else we "should" add to our plate every day, it's something we CAN make a habit to benefit us and those around us. 

Check this out: 

According to a Harvard study,  "gratitude is strongly and consistently associated with greater happiness. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, relish good experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity, and build strong relationships."

Worth it, right? 

So how can we bring the attitude of gratitude into our daily lives? Let me offer a few simple (and quick) ways.

1. Start a Gratitude Journal. I kid you not, I have a piece of paper in my nightstand that I write one thing I'm thankful for a day before I go to bed. I didn't even take the time to get an actual notebook...and you know what? It doesn't matter...it's still practicing gratefulness.

2. Set an Alarm. On the hour, every (waking) hour, when the alarm goes off, say something for which you're thankful. I'm starting this with my kiddos during Thanksgiving break...and we are going to use "Alexa" because it's more fun than way. 

3. Phone (or text) a Friend. Find someone who you can text something your thankful for each day and vice versa...a built-in accountability partner.

4. Get Social. Post daily something you give thanks for...invite others to join.

5. Stop Light/Sign. Drive, walk, bike, run a lot (or at all)? Each time you stop at a stop light or stop sign, give thanks!

There are a million ways to do this, the point is just get started!

Today, I'm thankful for cozy blankets and yummy candles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment