Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Don't lose your cool. Keep calm with these foods.

He's soooo excited...I'm soooo stressed

We all get stressed out every once in a while. Right now I am a ball of anxiety over schedule changes this fall and my oldest starting kindergarten. It's not just about giving up my time with my little guy, it's also about school supplies. Let me tell you. I almost lost my mind trying to find the required 8 pack of a certain kind of crayon when they only come in packs of 10 (think Steve Martin in "Father of the Bride" ripping hot dog buns out of the packages to make the right number...insanity). Anyway, while my eye is starting to twitch at the prospect of putting name labels on piles of school supplies, I am reminded that instead of reaching for the tenth cup of coffee this morning and stuffing my face with chips and cookies that I so badly want, it's actually much better for my anxiety level (and the health of my family relationships) to eat these stress busting foods. Maybe you could use a few too :)


  • Oatmeal: a nice warm bowl of oats boost levels of serotonin which is a calming brain chemical.
  • Spinach: the magnesium in spinach makes sure that you aren't deficient in this vitamin which can lead to fatigue and headaches 
  • Fish (the fatty kind): omega-3 fatty acids found in swimmers like salmon and tuna prevent surges in stress hormones
  • Avocados: reduce blood pressure by making sure you get enough potassium...avocados have a ton of it
  • Crunchy raw veggies: not only do you get filling fiber and vitamins and minerals, the pure act of crunching and chewing a carrot stick, crisp cucumber, jicama or celery causes a clenched jaw to relax
  • Berries: they are yummy and they have stress reducing anti-oxidants as well as lots of vitamin C to boost your immune system.
  • Dark Chocolate: oh yes...but just a bite and it needs to be at least 70% cocoa. It's packed with antioxidants that lower blood pressure and gives your brain a bit of a relaxed feeling
  • Pistachios: this is a two-for-one: they have phytonutrients which give us some antioxidant support and the rhythmic shelling of this diet friendly nut will help you relax and slow down your eating
So, today, I'm having oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast, a spinach salad with raw veggies and avocado for lunch and salmon for dinner with a bite of dark chocolate to finish off the day. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment