Sunday, December 15, 2019

Whole Roasted Chicken...Yep...the WHOLE Chicken

Confession time: I've never bought, roasted and definitely have not touched with bare hands a whole, raw chicken. BUT my family's favorite chicken is rotisserie style...from the store. These chickens, though totally yummy are generally injected with butter and have some interesting ingredients rubbed on them...and not all of them I would call "food." No judgement if you grab one at Costco when you're there, I do that too...just know that this recipe is super easy, and clean. Plus, it definitely got me out of my comfort zone....which I think is a great thing!

Clean Whole Roasted Chicken

What you need:

  •  a whole chicken (you can buy fresh or frozen, but if frozen, allow to thaw in the fridge for a couple days)
  • foil
  • olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 onion
  • 2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic 
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
What you do:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees
  2. Take the giblets out of the chicken (I don't even know what those are, but they just fell out of my chicken in the sink)
  3. Pat the chicken dry, inside and out
  4. Mix all the seasonings together in a bowl
  5. Take the outer peel off the onion
  6. Put the onion inside the chicken...I know....this is part of my growing process....getting out of my comfort zone...just pop it in and forget it
  7. Rub the seasoning all over the chicken
  8. Line an edged baking pan with foil and grease it with oil
  9. Pick that chicken up (I picked it up like a baby, under it's wings) and place it on the greased foil
  10. Grease another piece of foil and place it lightly on top of the chicken
  11. Bake for about 4-5 hours or until cooked through
  12. For the last 10 minutes, crank the oven up to 450 to crisp that sucker up
  13. Let rest for 10-15 minutes before carving
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment