Friday, February 8, 2019

The Whole30...my thoughts and experience



This January I some people in a class I teach decided to do the Whole30 ..and being super competitive, I took that as a challenge to do it myself. If you aren’t familiar with what “Whole30” is all about, let me break it down for you. 

Basically, you eat:
  • meat (preferably organic)
  • eggs
  • fats like olive oil, coconut oil and avocados
  • nuts
  • fruits
  • veggies
The things off limits:
  • sugars
  • grains (including corn, quinoa, rice, wheat, etc)
  • vegetable oil
  • beans 
  • legumes (including peanuts)
  • alcohol
  • soy
  • dairy
Many people gasp and back away from this “diet” because it’s so restrictive. Totally fine, it’s not for everyone. However, it’s only meant to be for 30 days and it essentially eliminates things that people are sensitive to so that when you begin eating those things you can tell if they do a body good. For all the info, definitely check out Whole30’s website

Now, I have to admit to 2 things.

#1. I have done the Whole30 before and it was fine...but it was also a long time ago before I was dairy and gluten free and it was HARD!

#2. I should say that in January, I did the Whole-ish30. I kept to the food rules like my life depended on it, but I did have some red wine and vodka on the weekends. Judge me if you wish. 

Anyway, I have to say, I feel GREAT! 
  • My sugar cravings are not beasts like they used to be...an apple or some unsweetened dried mango will do the trick. Plus, as an avid chocolate lover and consumer, I’m just not really into anymore...what?!? 
  • I feel like I can really hear my hunger cues. I know when I’m actually hungry and should eat and when I’m just bored or stressed or whatever.
  • I don’t get the mid afternoon blood sugar dip...yay!
  • I don’t have the mid-afternoon bloat...ever! 
So, I feel like I won January in the energy and feeling we’ll department (even if I did have some drinks along the way.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment