Thursday, May 1, 2014

25 calorie "pasta"

So my boys loves pasta...all kinds of noodles. However, a 1-cup serving of cooked spaghetti is approximately 225 calories and basically stringy gluten. So if you are avoiding high calorie food and gluten (like I do) it's pretty much a plate of the enemy. So I'm always trying new veggies to use as my "pasta" for Italian night at the Heide's. So let me introduce you to my newest favorite way to go gluten-free and shave 200 calories from my plate: broccoli slaw. 

Basically, broccoli slaw is shredded broccoli stalks (the part that most people don't eat). So even though I think it's sort of a genius conspiracy to just get people to pay money for something that no one really wants to eat, this veggie is totally delicious under some meaty pasta sauce with other veggies. All you do is saute it with some cooking spray and fresh herbs like basil and oregano. Throw some salt and pepper on it and viola; a delicious 25 calorie (and fiberlicious) sub for pasta. 


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment