Friday, November 18, 2016

Roasted Root Vegetables


So...it's definitely fall now and that means that Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I know for most, it is an all out eat fest and that's great. Even so, I'm really thankful for my health and want to feed my body some really good, yummy, nutritious food even if I indulge in some gravy and pie. Plus, if you are dealing with food allergies and sensitivities, Thanksgiving feasts can be a bit daunting. Therefore, I have worked hard to make the yummiest root vegetable hash possible. Root veggies are amazing. They fight cancer with a healthy dose of antioxidants, fill you up with fiber and can even help you absorb more iron for strong bones and cartilage.



What you need:

  • 1 large sweet potato
  • 4 large golden beets
  • 2 cup whole Brussels sprouts (I know it's not a root veggies...but they are soooo tasty in this dish)
  • 1 small butternut squash
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 6 whole carrots
  • 6 whole parsnips
  • 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • optional: 1 tbsp my favorite spice to put on veggies
                               
                                       What to do:

  1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
  2. Peel all veggies and cut into 1 inch cubes (I know this seems like a lot of chopping and such but it took me less than 20 minutes and I passed the time watching my guilty pleasure tv series)
  3. Saute all veggies except butternut squash (they get too mushy) in broth for about 5 minutes to get them just a little soft...but not too soft or they will be mushy
  4. Salt, pepper and drizzle with olive oil
  5. Spread on two separate baking sheets to provide enough room for veggies to roast
  6. Bake until tender or about 20 minutes
Nutrition Facts per one cup serving: 100 calories, 20 carbs, 2.5 grams protein, 2 grams fat, 5 grams fiber





No comments:

Post a Comment