Friday, September 11, 2009

Fantastic Food Find Friday


The Find: Newman’s Own Olive Oil and Vinegar


The Facts: So I love salad, and have the perfect salad, you need the perfect dressing. I have always loved the idea of putting olive oil and vinegar on my salads as the dressing because of all the health benefits. Olive oil is full of monounsaturated fat and antioxidants. It has been shown to decrease the risk of heart disease and aids in stomach aliments such as ulcers. Plus, all that good, heart healthy fat helps you stay fuller longer so less noshing on unhealthy snacks while waiting for your next meal. Put that healthy olive oil with some tangy vinegar…and viola…the healthiest salad dressing ever. So why would I buy it premixed instead of concocting my own (which would seem easy enough)? I have never been able to get the proportions of each ingredient right…but no worries...Paul Newman to the rescue! One word of caution: the dressing is healthy, but too much of anything is not good, so measure out a 2 tablespoon serving and pop the bottle back in the fridge!


Spice it up! I love to make my dressing spicy by adding some red pepper flakes or cayenne. You can also use this as a tenderizing marinade for any meat, fish or veggie!

No comments:

Post a Comment