Friday, March 25, 2016

A new kind of protein...chirp chirp

During my search for the cleanest protein bar that I don't have to make I came across this little gem: the EXO bar. It is gluten, soy and dairy free. And get this, the protein in it is cricket...yep...like the ones that sing you to sleep with their chirping in the summer;  WHAT?! I know, right? BUT check this out...crickets are higher in protein per 100 grams then eggs and beef. Plus, they have a smaller carbon footprint than the animals we get protein from...so eating crickets is environmentally friendly. But how does it taste? Overall, it is a fine bar. It's sweetened with dates, it has a good amount of protein and fiber and at 300 calories a bar, it could be a meal replacement. You won't find any legs or antennae in the bar since the crickets are dried and ground into "cricket flour" ...so that's a plus. I brought some for one of my classes to sample (lucky ducks) and everyone tried one....and some even had seconds. 

So if you are looking for an all natural bar, this one might be on your "try" list...enjoy :) Just food for thought...chirp chirp.

No comments:

Post a Comment