Friday, May 11, 2018

Clean and simple egg casserole that is anything but just for breakfast!



Earlier this week, I made a breakfast casserole for a friend who just had a baby and eats mostly paleo. The recipe looked good, so I doubled it and made one for myself...and oh my it was GOOD! But true to form, I thought that I could definitely get some more veggies in and do less processed meat. So, here is what I came up with and it delivers. I made it a bit spicy so if that's not  your thing, use less pepper flakes :)

What you need:


  • 1 tbsp avocado, coconut, olive oil, butter, ghee...your choice...I like avocado oil best :) 
  • 1 lb ground turkey (I like the 93% lean)
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (if you're lazy like me, Trader Joe's sells sweet potatoes already cubed)
  • 1 package (3 cups) cooked cauliflower rice (I get it at Trader Joe's in the frozen section and microwave for 3 minutes)
  • 3 cups fresh, shopped spinach
  • 1/2 large yellow onion diced
  • 12 eggs, beaten
  • 3  tsp kosher salt, divided
  • 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 3/4 tsp sage
  • 3/4 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp marjoram


What you do:


  1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees
  2. Toss sweet potatoes in oil and place them on baking sheet. Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until soft
  3. While sweet potatoes are roasting, brown the ground turkey with onions until finished (no pink)
  4. Add pepper, 2 tsp salt, sage and thyme to meat and mix well
  5. Add cooked cauliflower rice and sweet potatoes to meat mixture and combine
  6. Whip the garlic powder and remaining salt into the eggs
  7. Grease a 9x13 pan and pour all ingredients together, including eggs
  8. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are set
  9. This lasts for about a week in the fridge...enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment