Friday, October 14, 2016

School lunches...ahhhhh

So I this is the first year that I have a kiddo in school full time (cheer/sob). That means he has to have lunch packed every.darn.day. I don't have a ton against school lunches, but my guy refuses to eat most of what is served and, therefore, I get the pleasure of making him (and sometimes his baby sister who's PDO doesn't provide lunch) a bag of food 5 days a week. I started to panic thinking that my non-sandwich eating, salad hating, cheese loving 5 year old was destined to a lunchbox full of cheese sticks and a water bottle, so I started brainstorming like a month ago and here is the short and simple list of acceptably healthy lunches that I will get on a rotation. THANK YOU Thermos hot food containers and very slim ice packs :)

*NOTE: this is based on my son's own tastes...I know there are foods that are obviously absent :)

Mains:

  • Turkey Roll Ups (just a slice of turkey rolled into a "tube"...for some reason my guy won't eat a flat piece of turkey but roll it up, and it's a completely different food...argh)
  • Oatmeal with blueberries and a touch of local honey
  • Black beans with cheese and a bit of sour cream (from night before Tacos)
  • Mac and cheese with peas
  • Apples with peanut butter
  • Meat balls with BBQ sauce 
  • Left over spaghetti and meatballs
  • Greek yogurt with granola
  • Clif bar or something like that in an emergency 
  • String cheese with turkey pepperoni and popcorn
Veggies:
  • Peas
  • Green beans
  • Carrots
  • Peppers
Fruit: 
  • Apple
  • Blueberries
  • Strawberries
Sides/Snacks (we have to provide a snack every day....so here's what I was thinking:
  • Snapea Snacks (Trader Joe's also has "Inner Peas"
  • Chips and Salsa
  • Granola bar
  • Apple sauce
  • Peanut butter crackers
  • Craisins
  • Lara Bar
  • Yogurt
I think if I keep it simple enough, I'll be able to get into a routine and it won't be such a big deal every night to pack it up and have it ready in the morning (except for the hot stuff which I will just warm up before school)....easy peasy, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment