Friday, February 22, 2019

Just Breathe: the power of the 4-7-8 breathing exercise

Hey there...do you ever feel stressed or anxious? Oh...totally...me neither...haha...HUGE lie. Years ago, I ran across an article by Dr. Andrew Weil that was all about breathing exercises. The one that stuck out most to me was what he termed "a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system." A tranquilizer sounds pretty darn good to me when feeling overwhelmed, anxious or stressed. Especially, one that doesn't have any side effects and that I can "take" anywhere, anytime....because, you know, it's just breathing :)

This relaxation breathing has three simple steps:

  1. Inhale for 4 counts
  2. Hold the breath for 7 counts
  3. Exhale for 8 counts
It's soooo simple, but it really packs a punch...to stress, that is!

Next time you feel triggered, stressed, anxious, or your mind is too busy to sleep, try a few rounds of this...let me know how it goes!

For more information on relaxation breathing techniques, checkout Dr. Weil's fantastic video!


No comments:

Post a Comment